- ALLERGIES AND ASTHMA & AROMATHERAPY?
- Is aromatherapy popular in your area?
- Spray Cans for Airbrushing?
- CARPAL TUNNEL AND OTHER AILMENTS
- HOW TO DO A SET IN 45 TO 60 MINUTES?
- Odorless or uv acrylic whose system do you use?
- HOW TO REMOVE GEL NAILS (But why would you want to?)
- U-V GEL NAIL LIGHTS FOR CURING PRODUCT
- NAIL DRILLS
- NAIL BREAKAGE
8 healthy nail rules to ALWAYS follow
1. Oil your nails daily
Freelance nail technician Loui-Marie Ebanks says that dehydration often results in flaky nails and dry cuticles. "It's important to regularly apply cuticle oil to keep your nails nourished and hydrated. I like Essie Apricot Cuticle Oil or CND Solar Oil," but you can use natural oils, too. When you're cooking with coconut or olive oil in the kitchen don't forget to rub some into your cuticles – it's an easy hydration hit.
2. Eat a diet rich in nail-loving nutrients
"Fingernails grow about one eighth of an inch per month," session nail technician and celebrity manicurist Lucy Tucker says, "so adding oils high in fatty acids, anti-oxidants and nutrients will help with natural nail growth". Nails thrive when you eat foods like salmon, chicken, eggs, coconut oil and green vegetables like spinach and avocados. However, Lucy adds, "if you're a fussy eater then help maintain healthy, strong nails by taking supplements rich in zinc, vitamin E and biotin like Seven Seas Perfect7 – this has got the added bonus of being great for hair as well!"
3. Never pull at hangnails
"Avoid touching hangnails at all costs" says nail authority and celeb manicurist Michelle Humphrey. Those loose/dry bits of skin around the cuticle are all too tempting too pull off – but don't. "Biting or pulling them off can lead to bleeding and potential infection". Michelle says you can prevent hangnails by keeping your cuticles nourished. "I recommend Maybelline New York Dr Rescue Nail Balm, £3.99, it contains shea butter and jojoba oil to keep dryness at bay." And see point 1. for more ideas!
4. Tackle stubborn stains (instead of hiding them)
Lynn Gray, National Sales Manager for Mavala says, "Nails turn an unnatural colour as a result of a few different things: smoking, illness, or by not wearing a base coat with a strong nail polish colour," says Lynn. To brighten and lighten the nail, try making a homemade scrub using lemon juice (there's loads of recipes on the internet, but mixing it with sugar and olive oil would work). Lynn continues, "Using an optical nail whitener would make the whites of the nail look whiter and the pinks look pinker, as well as helping to neutralise yellow tones."
5. Find your most flattering nail shape
Loui-Marie told us that "squoval shaped nails – in between square and oval – give the illusion that your nails are longer, whereas having round nails can actually make your fingers look shorter" – so pick a shape that suits your fingers. In theory everyone should mirror their tips to their cuticles for the ideal nail shape.
6. Always file in one direction
"Get in the habit of filing in one direction," Lucy explains, "and try using long light strokes as this will minimise friction and heat build-up which can split and damage the nail". Keeping a mini nail file in your bag is a handy way of not being caught out if you break a nail while you're out.
7. Wear gloves for chores and take showers, not baths
"Hot water, detergents and harsh cleaning chemicals can ruin your mani so if you have to do the washing up and cleaning – wear rubber gloves to protect your nails," Beauty Editor Bridget March says. "Soaking your nails for any length of time will let water seep into the nail plate and weaken the polish, so avoid it where possible."
8. Strengthen your nails – with colour
Laura Capon, Cosmo Beauty Assistant, explains that you don't have to sacrifice colour when strengthening your nails. "I love the tinted OPI Nail Envy polish in Hawaiian Orchid (a chic pink), which contains wheat protein and calcium to fortify the nails".
from link: www.cosmopolitan.co.uk
- NAIL BRACELETS: New trend sees women designing intricate jewellery on their fingernails
- Signature Services: Toasted Coconut Hot chocolate Pedicure
- The 2016 NAHA Finalists Announced!
- New York Salons Must Pay $2 Million in Back Wages
- Why Do Gel Nails Crack? There's A Reason Behind This Annoying Phenomenon
- Face & Body Northern California Adds Nail Pavilion
- Finger lickin’ good — or gross? KFC launches chicken-flavored nail polish in Hong Kong.
- Talking Business: Tami’s Tips & Toes offers relaxing atmosphere
- We Tried Kylie Jenner’s New Nail Polish Collection
- NYC Thief Is Partial to Essie Polish